House of Lochbuie

The House of Lochbouie is a feudally independent Branch Clan that was established at the time as the House of Duart. Since 1804, the Chief of Lochbuie has spelled his name, “Maclaine.” The branch takes its name from the beautiful Loch Buie on the Island of Mull, where Moy Castle overlooks the bay opening onto the Firth of Lorn and the tidal islands of Eilean Mòr and Eilean Uamh Ghuaidhre.

The branch was likely established in 13451 after a failed negotiation with John of Islay, 1st Lord of the Isles, for land on the Isle of Mull ended with his abduction by Lachlan Lùbanach and his brother Hector Reaganach. Rewarded for their boldness, which he wished to leverage, his Lordship granted each brother lands on Mull.2 Hector was given four score merks of land.3

Maclaine of Lochbuie (Chief's Arms)

The estate of Lochbuie, which means yellow loch in Scots Gaelic included the land from Ben Buie to the Firth of Lorn At the head of the loch is the main village of Lochbuie which was once knows as the Garden of Mull. The Lochbouie Chiefs trace their lineage to John Dubh Maclean, 4th Chief of the Clan Maclean. Hector Reaganach, John Dubh’s son, was the first Chief of the Maclaines of Lochbuie. Lorne Maclaine, Feudal Baron of Moy, is the 26th Chief of the Macleans of Lochbuie.

Junior Cadet Houses

The junior Cadet branches of the Clan Maclean that trace their lineage the Macleans of Lochbuie include the Macleans of Urquhart, and the Macleans of Scallasdale.

References

  1. 1. Maclean-Bristol, Nicholas. One Clan Or Two? Independently Published, 2019. p. 32, 33.
  2. 2. see Rise to Influence & Prominence
  3. 3. Mackenzie, Alexander. History of the Macdonalds and Lords of the Isles. Inverness: A&W Mackenzie, 1881.
  4. 2. Macfarlane, Walter. Macfarlane’s Genealogical Collections, Vol. 1. Edinburgh: University Press, 1900. p.122.
  5. 3. MacLean, J. P. A MacLean Souvenir. Franklin, Ohio: The News Book & Job Print, 1918. Print.
  6. 4. Robertson, James A. Concise Historical Proofs Respecting the Gael of Alban. Edinburgh: W.P. Nimmo, 1866.