Sir Hector Maclean

23rd Chief, 7th Baronet of Morvern, 19th of Duart, 3rd Lord Maclean*

Lieutenant Sir Hector Maclean, 7th Baronet of Duart,1 3rd Lord Maclean5 became the 23rd Chief of the Clan Maclean on the 10th of December in 1783.1 When the 22nd Chief died without a male heir,4 the line of heriditary succession had to be traced back four generations to Hector Og.1 As the great-grandson of Hector Og’s1 third-born son, Donald Macleans of Brolas, Sir Hector was legitimate heir to the baronetcy and chiefship of his clan though.

Little is known of Sir Hector as he lived a quiet secluded life after retiring from military service.


Sir Hector was born to Donald Maclean of Brolas1 and Mary Dickson of Glasgow.5 Though the date of his birth is not recorded, Sir Hector was most likely sometime in the 1760’s. Mary died before having other children, and Donald married Margaret Wall of Clonea Castle in Waterford.10 Sir Fitzroy’s second great-grandfather was Donald Maclean, 1st Laird of Brolas and the third-born son Hector Og Maclean of Duart.5 Though Sir Fitzroy was married, he died before having any children.4

Military Service

The dates that bookend Sir Hector’s service in the British Army have long been fogotten. However it has been recorded that he was “sometime a Lieutenant1 indicating that he held the rank longer than normal and that it was his final rank. The London Gazette does record that he was promoted to Lieutenant from the 1st Battalion of the 84th Regiment of Foot to the 100th Regiment of Foot on the 8th of May in 1784.9

At the time Sir Hector joined it, the 84th Regiment of Foot (Royal Highland Emigrants) was headquartered at Fort Edward in Nova Scotia and was exclusively active in North America. Sir Hector’s distant cousin, Sir Allan helped raise the 84th and had even commanded its 1st Battalion. The 84th Regiment of Foot was disbanded in 178311 after the American Revolutionary War.

Five months before the 84th disbanded, Sir Hector was promoted to Lieutenant with the 100th Regiment of Foot (Loyal Lincolnshire Regiment) based in Ireland. The year before Sir Hector’s transfer to the 100,th it participated in the Second Anglo-Mysore War in Southern India and had sustained a substantial losses when it was forced to surrender at Bednore in May 1783. Before returning to Ireland, the 100th was interned until the Treaty of Mangalore was signed in 1784. The 100th was disbanded a year later in 1785. As there is no record of his retirement, it is plausible that Sir Hector retired at this time.


Though his early life was spent in the Army, after resigning his commission Sir Hector spent the rest of his life in a quiet secluded retirement.1 Sir Hector died in York on the 2nd of November in 1818.5 Leaving no heirs, the baronatcy and chiefship fell to his half-brother, Sir Fitzroy Maclean.2

Lieutenant, Army of the United Kingdom   Baronetage of Nova Scotia


This is not the official site of the Clan Maclean; it does not reflect the opinions or views of the Clan Maclean International nor its affiliates.