- Born March 11, 1911, Egypt
- Sir John Colville wrote in his Fringes of Power that Sir Fitzroy Maclean is “a man of action who is also a master of the English language.”
- Close relationship with Winston Churchill, who appointed him Brigadier and asked him to lead the British mission to Tito in Yugoslavi.
- Was a God Parrent to Winston Churchill’s grand daughter.
- in 1941 declared himself a candidate for Parliament
- elected Conservative MP for Lancaster , a seat he would hold through 1959
- Sir Fitzroy joined the Cameron Highlanders as a private, and in 1942 the-S.A.S
- was financial secretary at the War Office from 1954 to 1957
- spent some time in Russia on behalf of the Ted Turner Organisation
- Knight of the Thistle
- A close friend of Ian Fleming, his war stories are said to have been the model for the novelist’s character James Bond.
- Died June 15, 1996, Scotland
► Watch Off The Page – Fitzroy Maclean